Today we got on a local commuter train and headed 42 kilometers south to the town of Aranjuez. Still in the Community of Madrid, it is easy to access for a mere 8 euros roundtrip and is a breath of fresh air with its tree-lined streets and beautiful river.
The Royal Palace was made into a royal site by Ferdinand and Isabella, and since the late 1800s has been a spring residence for the Spanish royal family. In my humble opinion, this would also be my fall residence if I were royalty; the trees are so stately and beautiful and the brown and yellow leaves add a pretty hue to the otherwise green garden.
Highlights of today:
1. Traveling with our friend Joe, a fellow auxiliar who hails from my old hometown (Philadelphia). We missed our friend Lina who got sick and couldn't come at the last minute. :(
2. A super easy, quick trip on the train to a beautiful spot in our region of the country.
3. Leisurely walking around Aranjuez. My favorite place we walked was through the Royal Gardens. One day, when I stop killing plants, I will have a garden...
4. A two hour, three course lunch filled with good conversation.
5. Beautiful, crisp fall weather.